Excerpt take from the Corpus Christi Church in Oklahoma : http://corpuschristichurchok.org/church-history
In 1926 some 300 families were on the parish registry at Corpus Christi however less than 100 attending Mass regularly. The carriage house was soon torn down and a two-story combination church and school built with a full basement. The upper part of the new building was used for school in the lower part for church. At the close of 1925 there is a total debt of $66,000 against Corpus Christi Church while the Sunday collection was about $55.
After a year Father Wilwerding and inexperienced pastor lost heart in his first undertaking of a construction and requested to be moved. On September 1, 1926 Father John J. Walde was appointed administrator of Corpus Christi Church by Bishop Kelley. The Diocesan drive was underway at the same time and was very successful in the Parish relieving Corpus Christi of some of its debt. In October 1926 Father John J. Walde was appointed the pastor.
The Corpus Christi Sisters were not a teaching order. However, they opened a school in September 1926 with 91 students and taught until the summer of 1928. After which the Sisters of Corpus Christi House were recalled and disbanded because they have been unable to obtain Papal approval of their community.
The first Novena of Grace in Corpus Christi Church in honor of St. Francis Xavier was March 4 to the 12th of 1927. Around 400 person’s attended. It was conducted for years after.
Bishop Kelley confirmed the first class of 56 on April 17, 1927.
In August 1928 The Sisters of Providence from St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana were brought in to staff Corpus Christi School. There were six sisters with 104 pupils that first year. A few months after their arrival the Corpus Christi PTA was organized. By 1936 Father John J. Walde and his parishioners reduce the debt on Corpus Christi Church from $66,000 to $4,000.
The next problem facing Corpus Christi Church was the fact that there was no possibility of furniture development at the first location. The attendance at Sunday services has increased from an average number of 100 to 800. So in 1936 Bishop Kelley suggested that the Associated Catholic Charities purchase the property of Corpus Christi for a maternity home and that Kelley Park an entire block at 15th and Stonewall was available to the Parish.
On March 1, 1937 the new two-story school building was begun. There were 12 classrooms, a large kitchen and an auditorium that seated 450. On August 7, 1937 Corpus Christi School was officially moved to 15th and Stonewall. Across the street a residence and six lots were purchased for a rectory. There was no convent as yet so the sisters occupied a portion of the new school building.
Money for the new building was nearly all raised with the sale of the old school, the sisters home and the rectory to Associate Catholic Charities, some royalties and through a financial campaign conducted in the month of December 1936.
For eight years the school auditorium was used as a church. In the new school there were 185 pupils in the eight grades with six sisters of Providence as teachers. The dedication of the new school took place on October 17, 1937.
In November 1944 Father John J. Walde and his parishioner saw construction began on their new church with a seating capacity was 500 with another hundred in the choir.
On October 18, 1945 Bishop McGuinness dedicated the new church. Catholic Daughters of America, Knights of Columbus, altar boys and 80 clergy took part in procession. The pontifical High Mass was celebrated by Bishop McGuinness with Rev. John J. Walde, assistant priest; Rev. J. Bernard Loftus, Deacon, and Rev. R.F. Harkin, subdeacon. Deacons of honor were Rev. E. Vader Grinten and Rev. John L. Garvey. Masters of Ceremonies: Rev. C.A. Buswell and Rev. James K. Couhig, CPPS. A stirring sermon was given by Rev. Edward Lodge Curran, Brooklyn, New York, president of the International Catholic Truth Society. Around 650 people witnessed the dedication of the new church.
On December 14, 1947 the new convent was begun. It had 26 rooms including a chapel, community room, two parlors, kitchen, refractory, utility room and basement. It could accommodate 13 sisters, each with a private room. The building was ready for occupancy in August 1948.
On October 27, 1948 the sisters held open house following the blessing of the covent by Bishop McGuinness. At the open house the ladies of the parish gave a sisters a canned food shower: also linens and bedding for their private rooms. There were seven Sisters of Providence to staff the school with 260 pupils.
On December 28, 1948 Father John J. Walde was named a Domestic Prelate (a level of Monsignor).
On March 18,1952 Msgr. Walde moved into the new rectory. A spacious building erected on the south side of the church. It had a suit of rooms for Msgr. Walde and for two assistance, a guest room, housekeeper’s quarters, reception room, three offices, kitchen, and in the basement, a recreation room, storeroom, laundry and furnace room.
On April 15, 1952 Bishop McGuinness bless the new rectory followed by a house warming for the clergy. Five days later on April 20 the rectory was open for parishioners and friends of Msgr. Walde.